( 0 )

Very close to the Holy Monastery of Epanosifis, on the northeast slopes of Ophis (Serpent) Rise, stands the village of Damania. The name of the village, according to archaeologist N. Platonas, comes from the pre-Hellenic word formation Da Ma, which means Mother Earth. The oldest written reference to the village is made in a contract of 1302 prepared by Chandax notary public Brixano, where it is called Demanie. Residents are mainly farmers and animal raisers. Most inhabitants come from the village of Çiftlic in the region of Seleuceia in Asia Minor. It was hard work for them to make a living and establish themselves on mountains that had never been cultivated before they arrived.

Near the village, at Kourinas location, in 1915, archaeologist Xanthoudidis found a vaulted tomb of the Late Minoan Period. It is built in the Mycenaean style: there is a 10m long and 1m wide road and a paved 4x2.80m burial chamber, which is 4m high. Xanthoudidis excavated the site and found three box-shaped clay larnakes and various artefacts. It dates back to the 13th century B.C.

Within and around the hamlet, there are also several churches, such as the Cathedral of the Holy Cross (Timios Stavros), renovated in 1996 and Agioi Pantes (All Saints) at the cemetery. To the north of the lake at Kefalas Hill there are ruins of the old Damania Village, which used to be a major town in Ottoman times; the view over the reservoir lake is breathtaking and on the south shores of the lake stands the impressive old chapel of Zoothohos Pigi (Life-Giving Spring).

Below the village, the artificial lake created in 2003 with the waters of the Anapodaris tributary, has become a significant wetland for small bird species of the broader region. The lake is one of the prettiest on the island in this serene landscape and a wonderful destination for a short escape not too far from Heraklion. There is a path and a dirt road around the lake to stroll along and admire the flora and bird fauna. For bird watching lovers, we recommend they combine a visit to both Damania and Armanogeia Lakes.  

Related entries